Posted by Venture Outdoors on 10/28/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor, WaterSports
Job Categories: Customer Service, Guide (raft,fish,bike hunt,horse etc.), Human Resources, Instructor Including Ski & Patrol, Management, Operations, Outfitter- Adventure Travel Staff
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $50,000 Annually
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Director of Paddlesport
Full-Time, Regular, Salaried, Exempt, Benefits
The Paddlesport Manager supports the mission of Venture Outdoors by ensuring the success of paddlesport offerings, most notably fundraising through watercraft rentals. This fundraising project is more commonly known as Kayak Pittsburgh. The Paddlesport manager will oversee and manage the seasonal and day-to-day operation of Kayak Pittsburgh, specialty paddle trips, and community paddle classes. The Paddlesport Manager will directly supervise the assistant manager, hub supervisors, hub attendants, and on-water trip leaders. Together, the manager, and their team, will work with the Director of Paddlesport to ensure overall high quality and successful operations. A successful candidate will demonstrate flexibility, positivity, and willingness to engage with the development of paddlesport within Venture Outdoors.
Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Director of Paddlesport to establish and oversee an annual paddlesport operational plan including operating budget, supply needs, and tasks required for success.
- Ensure the day-to-day success of rental hubs including adequate staff scheduling, equipment upkeep, and maintenance of operational efficiency.
- Procure operational supplies
- Oversee and/or participate in developmental projects associated with Venture Outdoors paddlesport.
- Conduct the recruitment, hiring, training, management and retention of Venture Outdoors Paddlesport staff.
- Manage, analyze, and report operational and financial performance of paddlesport activities.
- Work with development team to promote paddlesport activities.
- Review and approve payroll for all paddlesport employees.
- Investigate incidents and implement remediation strategies as needed.
- Manage the technology systems associated with paddlesport activities.
- Facilitate bi-weekly staff meetings for respective employee groups (line level, supervisory, trip leaders, etc.)
- Serve as on-call contact in conjunction with assistant manager for emergencies or issues requiring immediate attention.
- Ensure adherence to established Venture Outdoors safety protocols and standards.
- Manage vendor and stakeholder relations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Comparable experience in operations and project management.
- Experience managing a staff of 30+ across multiple sites, roles, and levels of responsibility.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines in a continually changing work environment.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to work creatively and constructively with staff and co-workers to foster a collaborative work environment.
- Ability to manage work independently and within a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written mediums.
- Willingness to take initiative to improve Venture Outdoors offerings, operations, and outputs.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and weekends.
- Ability to learn how to responsibly operate company vehicles including towing company owned trailers with properly loaded equipment.
- Ability to repetitively lift and maneuver watercraft weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to lift and maneuver craft weighing over 50 pounds with the help of a partner or team.
- PA State Act 151 Child Abuse, PA State Act 34 Criminal Background Check and FBI Background check must be obtained and submitted prior to the first day of employment
- Note: a finding on the criminal background clearances is not automatic disqualification, but rather a conversation starter
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications (Wilderness First Aid or higher preferred)*
- PA Mandated Reporter training*
- Completion of Venture Outdoors’ Outdoor Leadership Training*
- American Canoe Association Coastal Kayak Instructor Certification*
- Experience working with online reservation systems, staff scheduling software, Microsoft Office Suite, and Microsoft 365 products preferred.
- Flexibility to work in various locations and as needed
- Locations include home office, Venture Outdoors office, community hubs, and remote work sites.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to work locations
*Can acquire upon accepting position
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurances
- 15 days paid vacation annually; 15 days paid sick time annually
- 10 paid holidays annually
- These days are not prescribed by Venture Outdoors but provided to employees to use as they wish to best fit their values and beliefs
- 8 hours of paid volunteer time per month to be used as employees see fit
- All primary and general election days are paid time off
- Parental Leave program
- Paid winter shutdown between December 26-January 1
- Paid pre- and post-season mandatory mental wellness shut down
- Simple IRA retirement plan
- Paid professional development
- Free subscription to the Calm app
- Flexible work environment
- Free kayaking!
STAFF EQUITY STATEMENT
- We commit to the equitable treatment of our colleagues, participants, and community members by valuing their rights, dignity, voice, and expression.
- We welcome and respect the diversity of individuality such as race, sex, gender identity, ability, culture, and religion.
- We recognize the human right for all individuals to be respected and accepted without bias.
- We commit to an organizational responsibility to build individual and community respect, dignity, fairness, care, and equality.
- We strive to understand the role our system plays in perpetuating exclusion, and to address the dynamics that support it.
- We understand that accountability is mutual and reciprocal in order to continually learn and improve.
- We believe that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion extends beyond the workplace and encourage all to continue personal development alongside the organization.
- We require organizational staff and participants to encourage a culture of belonging and consider the entire experience and the ecosystem that supports.
- We will not tolerate explicit and implicit forms of racism, sexism, classism, xenophobia, ageism, and/or ableism.
- We will not accept the use of racial or gender biases and require staff to implement inclusionary practices within their duties and program design.
- Applications will be accepted until 8:00 AM EST on Monday, November 27th, 2023
- Submit a resume via the job posting found at www.ventureoutdoors.org/about/employment-opportunities
- Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please
Venture Outdoors is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
About Venture Outdoors
We are a Pittsburgh-based non-profit connecting people to the benefits of getting outdoors. Since 2001, our team of Outdoor Educators and Volunteer Trip Leaders have guided people of all ages and stages to hike, bike, run, paddle, geocache, and more.