Sr. Cost Accountant
Posted by Leatherman on 02/15/2023
Industry Sector: , Action, Bike, Fishing, Fitness, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow, WaterSports
Job Categories: Accounting, Finance, Manufacturing
Company Type: Accessories, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $100,000-$130,000 Depending on experience
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Please visit our website at: www.leatherman.com.
Responsible for interpreting and implementing complex standard costs and inventory management for manufactured tools and purchased components. Responsible for monthly reporting and analysis of manufacturing variances, trends on material, labor, overhead costs, and inventory. Recommend reduction/avoidance, expense controls, make vs buy decisions. Prepare and work with engineering on costing of new products.
· Review and analyze standard costs assigned to manufactured tools and purchased components. Responsible for annual standard cost roll based on material, labor and overhead budgets including recommendations for labor and overhead cost allocation rates.
· Support preparation and effectiveness of bill of materials and costing sheets with Operations and Product Development teams; including an understanding of routes and standard discreet manufacturing processes.
· Responsible for month end close entries, balance sheet audit, reserve analysis and inventory reconciliation; including WIP inventory reporting and inventory turns calculation.
· Report and understand variances and their causes, including spending and productivity variances. Develop and pursue root cause and continuous improvement process with operations.
· Partner closely with the operating team (including Manufacturing, Logistics, Engineering, and Supply Chain) to understand financial inputs and provide guidance on operating decisions.
· Ability to develop and report key manufacturing metrics – costs, inventory, yields, variances.
· Support the annual budget process, integrating and rationalizing manufacturing departmental metrics to maximize the corporation’s likelihood of meeting the annual profit target. Monitor and analyze cost of goods sold financial performance, providing reports and recommendations to management.
· Support manufacturing capital purchase accounting and retrospective analysis.
· Proactively identify business process gaps and opportunities for improvement within the cost accounting and inventory management cycles.
· Provide support to the New Product Introduction (NPI) process with product costing. Assist with estimates for new product costs as well as audit plan vs actual results post-project.
· Key player for ERP implementation project. Develop and execute thorough cost accounting and inventory module system setup and testing scenarios with documentation. Assist in developing integrated testing techniques, system accuracy validations, reporting enhancements, best practice procedural updates, and documenting the procedures/results.
Experience and Education Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; MBA preferred.
· Five years of strong cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment is required; utilizing standard costing is preferred.
· Strong skills at building relationships with various levels in an organization. Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
· Work independently and possess a high level of self-motivation and initiative with limited direction.
· Demonstrate curiosity which supports and inspires innovation.
· Effectively problem solve, prioritize, and follow through on tasks and projects.
· Advanced Excel and Data Analytic skills using complex formulas and modeling. SQL and BI tools are a plus.
· High level ERP and system experience is required, knowledge of Microsoft D365 preferred.
We care about the Health and Wellbeing of our Employees
Leatherman believes having healthy employees contributes to a healthy and productive workplace and community. While we're all responsible for our own overall health and well-being, Leatherman works toward helping employees make healthy lifestyle choices and changes that improve their health and overall quality of life through its many Health and Well being Resources.
- Free/low cost on-site primary care health center
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible spending and health savings accounts
- Behavioral health programs
- Pet insurance
- Onsite health coaching
- Lifestyle and fitness programs
- Tuition assistance
- Employee volunteer program
- Generous employee discounts
- Onsite fitness center
- Paid time off
We thrill our consumers with quality, products and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential.
We create innovative products that prepare people for the expected and unexpected and result in real tales of triumph.
Our vision is to be the global multipurpose brand of choice.
Pre-employment background check and drug screening is required. Leatherman Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.