The Position: Sr. Merchandise Manager - Apparel
The Senior Merchandise Manager for Apparel will develop the strategy that drives the product line from concept to market. This position directs the merchandising, development and manufacturing of all Apparel categories. This individual will monitor merchandise performance overall, direct and coordinate all administrative functions including assuring that timeline deadlines are adhered to, gross margin requirements are met, and business is analyzed in detail assuring maximum profitability and sales growth.
• Participate in overall global product/brand strategy for apparel & technical apparel categories with the focus on research and development requirements, analysis of market (competitive brands and trends as they apply) and manufacturing coordination for new and emerging products/distribution
• Drive the execution of a balanced seasonal product line. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to create a cohesive, well-priced seasonal collection in order to hit sales and merchandising deliverables
• Merchandise and present seasonal product assortments in conjunction with product lead individuals, that meet financial targets and maximize divisional objectives
• Oversee all product management and development teams’ responsibilities including global sourcing allocation and related needs
• Work with Technical Design Team to ensure that Burton standards are met by all vendors, including fit, expected product performance and overall quality
• Analyze classification and style sell-through performance and provide sell-through feedback to Design
• Manage all required activities to support the Product Line Process in conjunction with Burton cross-functional partners in the areas of Quality & Testing, Supply Chain Planning, Logistics, Trade, and Finance.
• Run weekly cross functional and open issue meetings with production and design ensuring attention to detail throughout the entire product development cycle. Provide timely recapping and updating as a result of weekly meeting.
• Develop and maintain relationships with sponsored athletes and select product testers.
• Manage all requirements for related product lines, including preparation and presentation at meetings with riders, sales and other “internal” events, also preparations and presentations to external Sales Accounts.
• Develop and maintain strong internal relationships with Design, Sales and Marketing staff to promote and ensure thorough and consistent development process. Person should also promote a team based approach and support an environment of close cooperation that leverages individual strengths, motivates others to grow personally and professionally, and has an excellent ability to provide clear communication, feedback, and honest positive constructive criticism.
• Maintain open channels of communication with global Sales and Marketing divisions
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a merchandising and/or development in a related business or brand. Wholesale or international experience a plus.
• Thorough understanding of apparel and related products with hands on working knowledge of development, fabrication, construction, sourcing and production
• Excellent product sensibility & taste level. Sportswear or apparel experience a plus
• 7-10 years of supervisory experience
• Team-oriented & collaborative with the ability to manage cross functional relationships across multiple levels & influence business decision with internal & external partners
• Highly organized & proactive with strong ownership & passion for the brand
• Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
• Creative & strategic thinker with a strong understanding of business strategies
• Strong retail math, analytical & computer skills (MS office) required
• Extensive domestic and international travel required
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Country: United States
Willing to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Minimum Experience Required: 5-7 years